At PAI, we are motivated by one powerful truth: a woman who is in charge of her reproductive health can change her life and transform her community. PAI is a global organization that champions policies that put women in charge of their reproductive health, including access to contraception, and safe and legal abortion. PAI achieves this through a 50+ year presence in Washington, DC, advocating with those who drive policy change, and defend against policies that harm women and girls. We also make it possible for local civil society organizations throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America, to access the funding, training and partnership they need to achieve policy change in their own local context. We are simultaneously on the front lines and in the background, focused first and foremost on the impact our work has on the lives of women and girls around the world.
The contribution of our 40 experts and staff is multiplied by an exemplary board of directors, and further leveraged by the work of partners in more than 17 countries. We pride ourselves on a strong set of institutional values that prizes excellence, teamwork, integrity and mutual respect. We hold firm our commitment to people, and as such we offer a generous benefits package, great work/life perks, and a flexible environment in which each individual is supported to be their best selves.
We are seeking a skilled, motivated, team player to join our Development Team as the Manager of Donor Communications. Under the supervision of the Director of Individual Giving, the Manager of Donor Communications is responsible for the creation of a wide variety of donor-centered materials that present PAI’s mission and work in clear and compelling manner to current and prospective donors. S/he will create and edit copy, suggest design and layout, and ensure dissemination of donor communications, including PAI’s annual report, annual appeal, quarterly print newsletter, e-communications, special campaigns, events-based communications and programmatic updates. The Manager of Donor Communications will work closely with PAI’s Communications and Policy and Advocacy staff to gather information and ensure message alignment.
- A development communications professional with at least 5 years of full-time experience turning technical, research and advocacy-related language into compelling and relatable stories for donors and prospects.
- Excellent written communication skills, particularly in the development of public-facing persuasive documents; application of these skills in a portfolio of development communications is preferred.
- Experience working with frontline major gifts fundraisers and/or in an advocacy-related field is preferred.
- Record of developing strategic and creative approaches to donor communications and outreach.
- Demonstrated capacity to write effectively in the voice of a range of others.
- Ability to listen carefully and respectfully to and understand stakeholder needs, both internally and externally, and to respond proactively to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Passion for issues of sexual and reproductive health, women’s rights and international development.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as primary developer of development communication calendar and writer of fundraising and stewardship collateral—including annual report, annual appeal, briefings, letters, proposals, and reports—that reinforce the work of the organization.
- As lead writer, ensure that fundraising communications are approachable, donor-centered and reflect the voices of senior leaders and staff; and provide coaching to PAI staff to achieve this fidelity.
- Work with External Relations and Executive Office to craft messages for PAI’s CEO that elevate her visibility with prospective donor audiences.
- Work with colleagues to craft appropriate and consistent language regarding PAI’s fundraising.
- Identify and recommend communications strategies, vehicles, and messages to reach specific donor segments, match their interests to institutional priorities, and adequately recognize their gifts.
- Ensure donor communications are recorded appropriately and efficiently in PAI’s CRM, Salesforce.
Salary: Salary $70,000 to $80,000, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Manager of Donor Communications” in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted on PAI’s website until the position is filled. PAI is an equal opportunity employer and offers a flexible workplace and a competitive benefit package.