At PAI, we are motivated by one powerful truth: a woman who is in charge of her reproductive health can change her life and transform her community. PAI is a global organization that champions policies that put women in charge of their reproductive health, including access to contraception, and safe and legal abortion. PAI achieves this through a 50+ year presence in Washington, DC, advocating with those who drive policy change, and defend against policies that harm women and girls. We also make it possible for local civil society organizations throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America, to access the funding, training and partnership they need to achieve policy change in their own local context. We are simultaneously on the front lines and in the background, focused first and foremost on the impact our work has on the lives of women and girls around the world.
The Foundation Relations team leads PAI’s efforts to grow its relationships with key foundation donors and manages an existing portfolio of approximately 40 institutional donors including several major U.S. foundations. The work of PAI is diverse and growing, and the Foundation Relations team is responsible for generating approximately 85% of the organization’s over $15 million in annual revenue through managing and renewing existing multi-year grants as well as cultivating new opportunities.
Under the direction of and reporting to the Director of Foundation Relations, the Foundation Relations Associate conducts donor research, writes proposals and reports that clearly communicate PAI’s niche and value, tracks deadlines, assists with the development of program budgets and financial reports, prepares materials for donor meetings, and helps manage data as it relates to PAI’s foundation fundraising. The Foundation Relations Associate builds collaborative relationships with foundation staff and works with staff across PAI including Program & Advocacy, Finance, the Executive Office, and the Board of Directors. Working closely with the Director of Foundation Relations, the Foundation Relations Associate is the person primarily responsible for the grants management and operational (systems) component of PAI’s foundation fundraising efforts.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent work experience.
- 1-2 years’ experience supporting fundraising/foundation department activities with duties that include providing general administrative support, managing solicitation calendars, departmental reports, and acknowledgement letter generation.
- 1-2 years’ experience drafting and editing donor communications.
- 1-2 years’ experience working with fundraising software. Preferably Salesforce.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Research and Prospecting: Conduct research and analysis on foundation donors and prospects utilizing on-line and web-based directories and websites. Update information on deadlines and guidelines.
- Grants Management: Manage all grant requirements, deliverables and documentation; coordinate with program and finance teams to develop strong grants management systems and best practices.
- Writing: draft effective proposals, reports, strategy memos, letters, and other compelling fundraising collateral, ensuring quality and consistency of PAI message and financial submissions Process gift acknowledgement letters for foundation and organization donors and handle appropriate internal information sharing and follow-up. Draft and process correspondence, such as specialized acknowledgement letters, cover letters for proposals, requests for annual reports, guidelines, etc.
- External Representation: Represent PAI using consistent PAI messaging, build strong collaborative with Foundation staff.
- Events: Plan, execute and facilitate events and meetings with external and internal partners
- Foster a working environment that supports PAI’s cultural values.
- Other duties as assigned
Salary: Salary $52,000 to $55,000, commensurate with experience.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Foundation Relations Associate” in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted on PAI’s website until the position is filled. PAI is an equal opportunity employer and offers a flexible workplace and a competitive benefits package.