At PAI, we are motivated by one powerful truth: a woman who is in charge of her reproductive health can change her life and transform her community. PAI is a global organization that champions policies that put women in charge of their reproductive health, including access to contraception, and safe and legal abortion. PAI achieves this through a 50+ year presence in Washington, DC, advocating with those who drive policy change, and defend against policies that harm women and girls. We also make it possible for local civil society organizations throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America, to access the funding, training and partnership they need to achieve policy change in their own local context. We are simultaneously on the front lines and in the background, focused first and foremost on the impact our work has on the lives of women and girls around the world.
The contribution of our 40 experts and staff is multiplied by an exemplary board of directors, and further leveraged by the work of partners in more than 20 countries. We pride ourselves on a strong set of institutional values that prizes excellence, teamwork, integrity and mutual respect. We hold firm our commitment to people, and as such we offer a generous benefits package, great work/life perks, and a flexible environment in which each individual is supported to be their best selves.
We are seeking a strategic, motivated, creative fundraising professional to be our next Director of Foundation Relations, a pivotal member of our senior team. The work of PAI is diverse and growing, and the Foundation Relations team is responsible for generating approximately 85% of the organization’s over $15 million in annual revenue through managing and renewing existing multi-year grants as well as cultivating new opportunities. Your role will be to lead PAI’s efforts to grow our relationships with key foundation donors and manage an existing portfolio of approximately 40 institutional donors including several major U.S. foundations.
This is an ideal position for someone who wants to take charge of a successful foundation relations program and help it grow. We’re looking for someone who understands the “relations” aspect of the job – that raising money isn’t just about proposals and reports, but about creating donor-centric relationships built on mutual trust, information sharing and common goals. This role also takes someone who understands advocacy, and knows how to translate the numerous meetings, consultations, reports and public statements it takes to achieve policy goals into proposals with tangible deliverables. The successful Director is someone who has experience with fundraising for international development programs, preferably in the Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) field.
- Master’s degree and 7+ years of relevant experience in Foundation Relations OR equivalent combination of education and experience
- Previous experience working for an advocacy organization in international development and or for a sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) organization
- Has strong network of contacts among foundations, and has demonstrated an ability to build relationships directly with foundations as well as between program/executive staff and foundation
- Can develop revenue projections based on existing funding relationships as well as solid prospect research and analysis, and will create the strategies and pipeline necessary to meet the revenue targets
- Can synthesize information about complex issues and write clear, persuasive, logical proposals
- Is an effective manager of projects, workflows and people, and takes his/her mentoring responsibilities seriously
- Fluency in a language in addition to English preferred; able to travel internationally as needed
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Strategic Planning: Assist in building foundation cultivation and solicitation strategies for the President, Vice President of External Relations, members of the Board of Directors, and other senior staff members, as appropriate. Attune strategies to the funding cycles of various foundations and include in-person donor visits, calls, briefings, letters of support, network-mapping and mobilization, and events.
- Technical Writing and Budgeting: Use detailed programmatic knowledge and high-level budget development acumen to draft effective proposals, reports, strategy memos, letters, and other compelling fundraising collateral, ensuring quality and consistency of PAI message and financial submissions.
- Grants Management: Manage the Development department’s contributions to PAI’s internal grants/project management process; coordinate with program and finance teams to develop strong grants management systems and best practices. Supervise and guide the Senior Manager’s portfolio.
- External Collaboration: Organize and partner with Foundation Program Officers in their support of PAI’s foundation relations program. Lead collaborative proposal development processes including PAI and its partners. Organize staffing needs for donor outreach trips and meetings. Serve as primary external point of contact with foundation staff in the development of donor trips. Internally, staff and assist PAI staff lead in the creation of presentation materials and talking points for donor meetings and trips.
- Program Development: Build open relationships with PAI staff; facilitate strategic discussions with Policy & Advocacy (program) staff to present and/or identify priority initiatives, communicate portfolio status and progress; design and execute appropriate strategies to fund relevant efforts. Lead on the creation and implementation of individualized cultivation plans for current major foundation donors as well as donor prospects. Work with Senior Manager of Foundation Relations, Policy & Advocacy, Communications and Executive Office to implement plans.
- Organizational Effectiveness: Support cross-functional organizational strategies for fundraising priorities. Assist in brand management for donor audiences.
- Financial and Business Planning: Provide input relating to revenue generation for strategic growth, including around PAI’s brand, organizational niche, and programmatic and revenue trajectory.
- Leadership/Management: Manages the Senior Manager of Foundation Relations. With the Vice President of External Relations, Director of Communications and Director of Individual Giving, provides senior leadership and support to the External Relations team; support the Vice President in all strategic planning for the fundraising program, including annual budget development and ongoing revenue projections and benchmarking.
Please submit your resume and cover letter describing how your experience and professional philosophy fit this position by November 2, 2018 to email@example.com with “Director of Foundation Relations” in the subject line.