Assistant Director of U.S. Government Relations
At PAI, we are motivated by one powerful truth: a woman who is in charge of her reproductive health can change her life and transform her community. PAI is a global organization that champions policies that put women in charge of their reproductive health, including access to contraception, and safe and legal abortion. PAI achieves this through a 50+ year presence in Washington, DC, advocating with those who drive policy change, and defend against policies that harm women and girls. We also make it possible for local civil society organizations throughout Africa, Asia and Latin America, to access the funding, training and partnership they need to achieve policy change in their own local context. We are simultaneously on the front lines and in the background, focused first and foremost on the impact our work has on the lives of women and girls around the world.
The contribution of our 40 experts and staff is multiplied by an exemplary board of directors, and further leveraged by the work of partners in more than 17 countries. We pride ourselves on a strong set of institutional values that prizes excellence, teamwork, integrity and mutual respect. We hold firm our commitment to people, and as such we offer a generous benefits package, great work/life perks, and a flexible environment in which each individual is supported to be their best selves.
We are seeking a dynamic, strategic, motivated individual to join our policy and advocacy team as Assistant Director of U.S. Government Relations. Under the supervision of the Senior Director of Policy and Advocacy, and working closely with the U.S. government relations team, the Assistant Director works to promote universal access to sexual and reproductive health and rights through the U.S. policy process. The Assistant Director is responsible for developing and implementing PAI’s U.S. government strategy, lobbies and builds relationships with congressional and administration staff to engage support of PAI program issues and advance sexual and reproductive health and rights in the U.S. and globally.
- Master’s degree and a minimum of five-years work experience in fields related to PAI’s mission.
- Outstanding writing and oral communication skills; experience in or familiarity with US government, and other global processes relating to strengthening and advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- Background in policy analysis and issue advocacy; and demonstrated ability to translate research into compelling and persuasive, issue-oriented information and educational materials; and demonstrated success in advancing sexual and reproductive health and rights in a rapidly changing policy environment while maintaining focus on long-term goals.
- Team player with a sense of humor, collaboration and creativity, ability to think strategically and engage new partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Subject Expertise: Serve as lead advocate on U.S. policy issues related to foreign assistance legislation and advocacy to support international family planning and reproductive health programs.
- External Representation:
- Establish and build relationships with officials of the federal government, including members of Congress, their staffs, and relevant executive branch officials whose policies and recommendations align with and/or relate to those of PAI.
- Co-chair the International Family Planning Coalition (IFPC) and facilitate communication and joint action among coalition partners. Identify new ideas and opportunities for innovative advocacy and coalition partnerships.
- Construct linkages between sexual and reproductive health and rights, in particular access to family planning, with other coalitions involved in promoting increased funding for international affairs programs.
- Understand the functional impact of proposed legislation and recommend appropriate modification to key constituencies including members of Congress and their staff and relevant coalitions.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with a range of audiences, including individual donors and media, the effects of U.S. policy on sexual and reproductive health and rights globally.
- External Collaboration: Build, cultivate and maintain PAI relationships with key individuals, NGOs, policymakers and their staff, government officials and coalitions to strengthen the scope of PAI’s advocacy efforts for sexual and reproductive health and rights. Actively engage new allies and incorporate innovative and new ideas into relationship building efforts.
- Program Leadership and Strategic Planning: Advise, refine and implement PAI’s U.S. government relations strategy; and support the Vice President of Policy and Advocacy and the Senior Director of Policy and Advocacy in strategic and annual planning.
- Management: With the Senior Director of Policy and Advocacy, provide senior leadership and support to the Policy and Advocacy team, including supervising and managing of staff members.
- Other duties as assigned
Salary: $90,000 – $95,000
Please submit a cover letter, resume and writing sample by February 28, 2020, to email@example.com with “Assistant Director of U.S. Government Relations” in the subject line. Applications will be considered as they are received, and this announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. PAI is an equal opportunity employer and offers a flexible workplace and a competitive benefit package.